Friday 22 April 2022

Numskulls


So, I was talking to a friend recently about the comics we used to read in our younger days. The Beano, the Dandy were high on our lists. We laughed as we mentioned one particular comic strip which was called the “Numskulls”. It imagined conversations going inside this man’s head between the various organs - the, eyes, the nose, the ears etc, and the disputes and arguments they got into.

Well, there was a moment this last week, (and it was no laughing matter, I can assure you) when I had a very ‘numskull’ type of conversation within myself. To give some context, one of the side effects of the pain medication I’m on is that it can mess with your internal systems. So, here’s how it went at meal time. 


Stomach Admin (SA) to Brain (BR) - Hey I can’t cope with this much food. 

Brain (BR) - But its highly nutritious. And Anna made it really tasty.

SA - Well, I’ve no appetite. There’s just no room down here. Send it back. 

BR - Sorry. No can do. It's already on its way down.

SA - And didn’t you know. The bowel department (BD) are on a go slow. They haven’t been processing stuff for days.

BR - Yes, I got a message about that. They’re going to cause a backlog.

SA - They already have. Its causing me massive cramps.

BR - I'm getting the medics on to it. Just be patient and do your best

BR - Try taking it in in small quantities

BR - And get those BD guys to push a little harder.

Nausea Action Dept (NAD) (interrupting) - Hey guys. We’re here, remember. Just press the button, and  we can eject that stuff at a moments notice!

BR - Now hold on. Is that the wisest move? Your body needs this nutrition.

NAD - Just saying. We’re only here to help.

BR - Well, thanks. But, no thanks.


And so it goes.  Sometimes it’s good to make light of the situation we’re in, even though each day is tough.

In fact, I do find myself actually audibly, talking to my own body from time to time. I tend to add a bit more, taking my cue from what it says in the Bible about our bodies, but you would probably never find this in the Numskulls! 


 "Remember whose you are? 

  You are made, my body, fearfully and wonderfully,** 

   by a good God, a creator God a loving God. 

   He is the one who has ultimate authority over you, my body. 

   He says that you, my body, are the ‘Temple of his Holy Spirit’.** 

   That’s what He calls you. God lives in me. 

   And with all of that authority, I say to you, 

   'Fulfil all of those bodily functions for which you were created. 

   Work together, all of you, to keep me healthy, and to glorify your creator. 

   And if you will not work, if you are determined to rebel against the One who created you, then you can just get out!!"


** Psalm 139:14 “I will praise You because I have been fearfully and wonderfully made”.


** 1 Corinthians 6:19 “do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you”



1 comment:

Paula said...

I had to smile at your "numskull thinking", Peter. Good for you in seeing the funny side of these things. But I'm very aware that what you're going through isn't a laughing matter.
Thanks for the updates...

Paula (and Peter) Smithers.