Tuesday 26 April 2022

Million Little Miracles


In the middle of these days of  joy, and heaviness, of hope and anxiety, there are always those light hearted moments that happen that just brighten up the day a bit.

One of these moments happened in the middle of last week.

It was a sunny morning and a calm sea. But to be honest, the outlook didn’t make much difference to me.

I had been struggling with an uncooperative digestive system that made eating breakfast or any other kind of meal a real struggle. 

In trying to ‘get it down’ and ‘keep it down’ I had developed the habit of eating a mouthful at the table and then pacing up and down the length of the room, invariably holding onto my stomach as I tried to digest the morsel. After a few lengths of the room (and it’s not a large flat), I was maybe ready to sit down and have a go at the next mouthful. Or maybe not. 

And that’s how it went. The pacing up and down was like a heavy shuffle, accompanied by the occasional groan.


Now during this breakfast ritual, on this particular day, we happened to have some music on, and the track ‘Million little Miracles’ by Maverick City ** happened to be playing. 

It’s a piece of music with a very distinctive and simple rhythm. As I did my pacing, and as I listened to the words, 

          “You hold me steady so I won’t give up 

           You open doors that noone can shut 

            I hope I never get over what You’ve done”

And something seemed to happen to me.

I loosened up.

My heavy trudging back and forth changed.

My feet caught the rhythm of the music. 

The pacing turned into a weird kind of shuffling dance. 

Instead of hugging my heaving gut, I raised my hands heavenward. 

And then Anna was on her feet as well. Her feet finding mine in a kind of morning two step, and there we jived in a moment of just enjoying what God had given us.


And the million little miracles? It all might sound like a bit of hyperbole, but when you been to think of everything little thing you have, everything you have been given, everything God has done for you, and all you have learned along the way, everything you’ve been blessed with. Even down to each glint of morning sunlight dancing on the waves as they pour across Portstewart bay. And each beat of a gulls wing, as they fly across the dawn sky. They soon add up. The million little miracles.

Yes, we’re looking for much bigger miracles to follow, but for now that moment has helped us to give thanks for all those little miracles we have already experienced in our walk with God.


**https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Viiw6tGimHo



No comments: