Friday 24 September 2021

The Seat by the Window

I count it an amazing privilege that, during this time in N Ireland, I am able to sit each morning by the North Atlantic. It’s quite a unique blessing to experience. In having this place, and this morning -  'ritual' - if that is the right word, I recognise that something has developed in me over this past year of pandemic, since we moved to Greece.  
As I sit watching the movement of the waves, I think to myself - ‘this is exactly how it was in Athens’ - the chair on the balcony, the same hour, just as the sun is emerging, the same sense of finding that ‘place’ - what you might call ‘sacred space’ - where you encounter God. The only difference was the view. 
There, it was a hillside with trees rather than ocean, green rather than blue and grey, and amazingly, above all, there was the faintest outline of a cross at the top of the hill. At times, almost invisible, and yet, in that early morning hour, with the rising sun behind, the cross that would stand out clearly against the light. 
Those morning moments were very special - beginning to identify the calls of the birds, noticing the regular movements of our neighbours as they passed below exercising, or with their dogs, and meditating on the readings for the day. It became for me a place to engage with God. And now, in Portstewart, it has become easy to develop the same habit.

There’s nothing particularly mystical or magical about the idea of finding a ‘sacred space’. It doesn’t have to have an ocean or a mountain to make it special. It comes through the attitude of the heart. The expectancy, the anticipation of ‘my heart seeks after thee’ and that, here I will meet with God. Discovering a real encounter with the Divine through simply seeking after him. But it does help, to designate the space where you seek that meeting, and the time of your appointment. You mentally agree that this is where I will sit and wait. Obviously, some places are thus designated by faith communities as ‘sacred spaces’ - be they cathedrals, prayer rooms or shrines. But there is no reason why it can’t be a park bench at lunchtime, or the top deck of the number 10 bus on the way to work.  The important thing is not the place, or the fantastic view, but the encounter.


The "Seat by the Window" becomes my Cathedral.


No comments: