Saturday 4 September 2021

Meri Jeewan Sathi

I am constantly amazed at this incredible army of people God has placed around me at this particular moment in my life. 

I have mentioned some already - those whom I count as part of my support team. 

Ordinary people leading very extraordinary lives. 

Here on the North Coast of Ireland, in the rest of the UK, in Portugal, Greece and elsewhere. 

Friends and family, they all mean so much to me. But there is one who stands out foremost in this. 

It is Anna.


Now, back when we lived in Pakistan, there was one word that was normally used for the one who was by your side - your life partner - the ‘Missus’. And that was ‘Biwi’. 

But, if you wanted to be more poetic, you might could also call her your “Jeewan Sathi”

Which, quite literally means “Together for Life”

Sometimes, when we  would be invited out somewhere, I’d introduce Anna

“Yeh meri jeevan sathi hei.”  People loved that.

I liked the idea too. I still do, even more so now. 

She has been my “Together for Life” for the past 41 years. 

My Anna. Or, as our Athens friend Georgis insists on calling her, ever since he discovered her full name through helping with our residence applications - my Anna Maria Victoria - or 'the Queen', for short.


She is my Queen of 41 years, or just over 42 if you care to add in the year of becoming intrigued with one another, and then beginning to like, and then to love, and then to decide to build a life together. 

Amazing to think back over those years, and to see how God has glued us together.

Lots of tough times, challenging situations - bringing up a family in South Asia. I think we must have moved at least six times in our first year of marriage and of our life there in Pakistan.

Then came Portugal. And now also Greece. It was usually I, the adventurous one, the risk taker, who proposed the next challenge. But we always sought agreement through hearing God, and listening to one another, before venturing out. 


I haven’t been always the greatest husband either. 

In those early days of rushing to get things done, to learn a new language, to see progress, to achieve, to prove yourself. And in the rush - to ignore what’s going on at home.

Then to be responsible for a team, and always seeking to make sure that everyone else is happy and fulfilled, and failing to see and meet the need at home.

And when life throws things at you, and you need a safe place in which to vent your frustration and anger, that can often happen at home.


Anna has had to take a lot from me, but through hard conversations, we have learnt to see one another's weaknesses and vulnerabilities, and in the seeing, to accept and to forgive. And the seeing in actual fact, becomes a 'seeing' of the character of Christ being formed over time in the other person. Recognising that reality, affirming it, and drawing strength from it becomes the 'glue' that holds us together.


So, now, in this season we are in, I thank God for her.

For that inner strength and beauty, for that commitment to be ever alongside. 

For that constant prompting me to look up, to seek God in all that’s going on. 

For that deep faith that  there is a plan and a purpose, and an answer to all the uncertainty we’re in.

Thank you God, for Anna.





1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this blog. It brings tears to my eyes. Love you both!