Tuesday 3 May 2011

Part and Bliss

I’m continuing to rave about the contemporary Estonian composer. Arvo Pãrt. I am currently listening to an album of his music called “I am the True Vine” played by the Theatre of Voices led by Paul Hillier and am loving it. Am not quite sure of Part’s religious context, whether it is Lutheran, Catholic, or Orthodox (or indeed a mixture of all three) but in his musical treatments of Biblical topics I find he sticks closely to the scriptural text, in this case, of course John 15, and also Matthew 26 with “the Woman with the Alabastar Box” which is another stunning track. Wonderful, ethereal, uplifting heavenly music.


Other equally compelling music I am currently listening to is by Bliss, an outfit headed up by Danish musician Steffen Aaskoven. The contrast could not be more startling - instead of austere cathedrals of Tallinn, think sunsets over the beaches of Ibiza. “Quiet Letters” is an ultimate chillout album, just the thing to listen to with the last light of an evening twilight over the Rio Tejo. I guess I like it particularly as it combines European, Asian and African rhythms with the Portuguese lyrics of Tchando from Guinea-Bissau. Listen in to "Quiet Letters" if you can get find a copy.


Pãrt


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP5s2BxM-L0


Bliss


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emeVWAK1YZA&feature=related



No comments: