Sunday 23 September 2007

The Special One

It's funny how in the popular consciousness a label gets attached to a particular celebrity from some throwaway comment he or she has made.

So it s that, as Portugal's most famous son, Jose Mourinho, bows out of managing Chelsea football team this past week, it was as "the Special One" that he is remembered in the popular press. Whether or not he remains “special” in the eyes of the ever fickle media will depend on performance and whoever else emerges over the horizon to capture the popular imagination

I like Jose. (Even though I’m supposed to support Arsenal) I like his shrug. I like his scowls and I like his grimaces and his straightforward approach in the press conferences. I read a quote of his he made back in 2004 on the subject of being sacked

“I was nine or 10 years old and my father was sacked on Christmas Day. He was a manager, the results had not been good, he lost a game on December 22 or 23. On Christmas Day, the telephone rang and he was sacked in the middle of our lunch. So I know all about the ups and downs of football, I know that one day I will be sacked."

Next year’s “special one” will be somebody different. But we’re following a Special One who’s constant, never changing, always faithful. Last evening we had our farewell service in 1st Coleraine Presbyterian. It was a glorious occasion. So many friends, some from way back, and some we’d only begun to get to know in this last year. But all representing a whole body of support and encouragement that we know will follow with us as we travel out to live and work Portugal, in, yikes, just about ten days time.

And Peter Fleming reminded us about, Jesus, the Special One we’re going there to serve. The Faithful One who is so unchanging presence is our legacy. I think if we were not convinced of his utter dependability, that he is alive, and lives for evermore, and is able to save to the uttermost all who come to Him, then we would not be making one step out of Northern Ireland.

Sandra and William Workman, and Dan and Primrose Avila probably travelled furthest from the wilds of county Kildare to be with us on what was a very special evening


Faithful One, so unchanging. Ageless One, You're my rock of peace. Lord of all, I depend on You. You are my rock in times of trouble. You lift me up when I fall down. All through the storm your love is the anchor My hope is in you alone.

No comments: