Thursday 19 May 2022

Celebrating Cancer?


A few days back, Tim Keller posted on Facebook his two year “celebration” of his pancreatic cancer that he was diagnosed with back in 2020. He called it a celebration because, even with all the accompanying anxieties, setbacks and discomfort he and his wife have been through, there has been a measure of success in the treatment of his cancer over the ensuing period. In his words  

                   “God has seen it fit to give me more time"

and his post also indicated the possibility of future treatment. For many of us who had followed Tim over the years, and gained so much from his teaching, his writings, his leadership, it seemed such an unfair blow at the time, that God should 'take him out' as it were. And yet, here he is, two years, on celebrating with joy, and, I would add, continuing to speak prophetically into our society and our times.


So let me also “celebrate”, my own 'one year on'. Yes, it's almost exactly a year since the original diagnosis of my own melanoma by Dr Joana Panoutsopolou, in Athens.  


    I celebrate, because, as she herself admitted, it was not a typical melanoma and could have been easily overlooked. Who knows how long we might have remained in Greece, before the full extent of my cancer was eventually known, and action taken. 

    I celebrate, because, even though it was incredibly hard leaving Greece and all that we had loved about that new adventure we had only just begun, there were so many unique and miraculous interventions that happened to make the return and entry back into life in N Ireland so smooth.

    I celebrate, because I feel I have learnt so much along this journey - 

about myself and about my God, about mortality and about eternity, about 

    I celebrate, because this new season we are in has brought us closer together as a couple, has enriched our family times together, and has reinforced for me the reality of the ‘great cloud of witnesses’ that surround us as we walk through life.

    And, I celebrate, because, yes, even though I do feel the effects of one year living with cancer, just now I am feeling stronger in myself than I have been in the past several weeks, and, in spite of the negative prognosis, I am appreciating afresh the wonder of God's healing and sustaining power. 




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Peter, I've just discovered your blog here and it has really touched my heart to pray for you...
Today my wife Julie and I went up to London and arrived early before meeting friends. We were sitting in a small coffee-shop and started chatting to a stranger on the table beside us. Hearing I was from Northern Ireland, the lady said she has missionary friends from Coleraine. Julie immediately said 'I bet you Nigel knows them!' - then the lady said 'Peter and Anna Crawford is their names' and I couldn't believe my ears... It turned out she also has some mutual fiends of ours.. We love it when we have these 'small world' encounters.
Julie and I are in Belfast next week, but also on holiday in Ballymoney in July. It would be great to see you.
With love and blessings, Nigel

Traci said...

Peter and Anna, you have both been such an encouragement to both Jonathan and I over the years we have known you. We continue to pray for you both! Abraços and beijinhos from Portugal