Friday 10 December 2021

Whenever You See A Rainbow


“Whenever you see a rainbow - rainbow… whenever your see..”

It emerges from the deep recesses of my memory -  a children’s chorus learned in some long forgotten Sunday school - now emerging to see the light of day.

And to refresh my soul.

I’m so amazed at the utter profusion of rainbows in  this North Antrim autumn.

At least one or two every week.

Obviously, it has something to do with regular rainfall, the shift of the clouds, and the cheeky interruptions of sunlights, as if to say “I’m not done yet” as winter approaches.


Like last Monday, for example.

I’m driving back from Coleraine to Portstewart. 

A dull showery morning. Eight Celsius. 

Coming from my weekly blood test at the clinic. 

Nothing special about the day. 

Then there’s this. Glowing through the window. 

I have to stop. And, click!

(At least I looked already in my rearview window first)


The thing about this one, (and it seems to be a common feature with Irish rainbows) is that it doesn’t terminate at some far distant horizon. Rather the ethereal glow of  rainbow colours seem to continue almost into the ground at your feet. This one terminates in a pool of flood water by the side of a busy road. It’s as if the old proverbial ‘pot of gold' is right there for the taking. A treasure chest with a green hat and a shamrock. But, setting aside that bit of whimsy, this ancient meteorological phenomenon has always  been a symbol of hope. For the ancient greeks, the rainbow connected heaven and earth. The messenger goddess Iris was said to travel on one in order to bear messages from the gods to mortals. But, what’s most memorable, are Yahweh’s words to Noah “I have set my bow in the clouds.. .. it is the sign of the promise I have made with all flesh.”**


That is how it is for me, a message and reminder that God is and remains always faithful to his plan and purpose, and it’s a good plan. Nor does it have to be a full arch for me. This Wednesday, for example, a tiny glimmer of iridescent colour set against a darkened sky. Glowing together with the Christmas mobiles hanging in the waiting room at City Hospital, it is God’s faithfulness once again underlined for me. Thus, going in to receive some further not-so-welcome news from the doctor regarding my cancer, I hear God’s voice clearer .. above the medical prognosis. I am still with you. I have a plan. I am your God. I have not abandoned you. So…


“Whenever you see a rainbow, rainbow…

     Whenever you seeee .. a rainbow..

         Remember God is love”


** Genesis 9:12-17

No comments: