Tuesday 13 October 2009

Who's Getting your Best

Does God sometimes speak to you through rock songs? Well, probably not. But I don’t know. The lyrics sometimes come from human experiences born out of deep pain and frustration.
So when Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters screams out

“Is someone getting
The Best
The Best
The Best of you?”


Do I not sometimes feel God shouting at me in the same terms. Am I giving Him my Best? In the morning when I wake up, does he get the Best part of my day? When I receive my income for the month does He get the Best of my money? When I’m working does He get the Best of my time, the Best of my energy, the Best of my concentration?

Dave Grohl growls out what any lover feels. Jealousy! And the Book of Exodus (34:14) looks at God and calls him Jealous.

“Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God”

We like to have all sorts of other names for God. Good, Loving, Merciful, Kind. But this Jealousy is as much a part of His character as the others. He wants us all of us all for Himself. Not just a bit. He’s not about to share us with anyone else..

And while on the subject of being faithful to one person, doesn’t it strike you as odd that, in an age when monogamy is history and lifelong commitment to one person is out of date and everything is swinging, the huge number of song lyrics we listen to every day of the week on our car radios long for, yearn for, commitment to the One, possession by the One, and life long love for the One

"I could hold you
For a million years
To make you feel my love" ........................Adele

"No one, no one, no one

Can get in the way
of what I feel for you" ................................Alicia Keys

"No, they don't know who I really am

And they don't know what I've been through
but you do
And I was made for you..." ......................Brandi Carlile

"Just like a tattoo, I’ll always have you" Jordin Sparks

It seems like people are crying out for something that will last, something that won’t involve the shame of lying, the wretchedness of leaving, and the pain and frustration of rebuilding. Amazing, isn’t it, that we already have that in God. And when we have God, we have everything else besides.

"Since he did not spare even his own Son
but gave him up for us all,
won’t he also give us everything else?"

* Romans 8:32

No comments: